Sunday, May 9, 2010

Centennial Farm


Whenever we go to visit my Aunt Susan in Garden Grove, we always stop at the OC swap meet and Centennial Farm.

One of our yummy treats we always get is a Lemon Pie carmel apple. Sounds weird but is to die for. This lady makes the most awesome apples.

Then the next yummy treat is a stop to buy Arizona Jack's Jerky. This Jerky melts in your mouth and is so tasty. We love the hot jerky but their teriyaki jerky is good too.

Once we have our loot, we walk over to the farm to see all the animals. It is an incredible farm. Admission is free and there is so much to see. They have pigs, cows, geese, sheep, roosters, hens, rabbits, goats, peacocks, ducks, and horses.


The kids love spending time there just visiting with the animals. This last weekend Daisy the pig just had 10 piglets on April 11th. They were so adorable. Mackenzie LOVES the piglets. She stands along the railing and the little piglets suck/nibble on the tips of her shoes. It's quite endearing!
Daisy with the piglets
Piglets trying to find Kenzie's shoe to suck on

They also had 2 baby calves who had just been bottle fed and would try to continue to "nurse" on your hand when you pet them. That was quite a slobbery experience. Dylan did not like all the slobber at all!
He is sucking on one hand as I use my other to snap his picture!


The farm also has a HUGE crop area. I also learned so much about how vegetables grow. Maybe it's the teacher in me, but I was so fascinated by all the crops. I did not know that artichokes (which I have never tried) grow on a plant that looks like a bush. I thought they would grow close to the ground like cabbage. I also learned that brussel sprouts grown on the stem of the plant. I thought they would grow much like cabbages do. It was fun to see the first shoots of asparagus and the rows of ripe strawberries. How rewarding it must be to see the fruits of one's labor.
artichokes
brussel sprouts

Dylan by the cornstalkDylan with cabbages

Maybe in my next life I will live on a farm and take care of livestock and grow some veggies! It would be fun . . . . . .for a day!

2 comments:

WackyMamma said...

What a fun family day!!! :)

Those sweet treats sound TO DIE FOR!!! :) mm!

xo

Anonymous said...

What a fun day! You've never had an artichoke? Are you crazy? So yummy! You HAVE to try one Diane. Looks like a beautiful place.

Julie
xoxox