Saturday, August 14, 2010

Preschool


Well . . . it has happened. I now have two children who go to school. They are growing up so fast it just breaks my heart - but that's a whole other post!

Dylan started preschool at ABC Barn on August 4th. I sent him 3 days early so that he could get accustomed to the routine before I started work. He has the same teacher that Mackenzie had - which I am delighted about.

All along before school started, when anyone asked him about preschool - he let them know that he was not excited and was not looking forward to it. End of conversation.

In my gut, I knew he was going to cry when I dropped him off and I seriously dreaded the moment. I hoped for the best, but I knew what was coming. He is my shy mama's boy after all.

So the morning of, he hesitantly gets ready for school. He is a little curious, a little excited, and a lot scared! When I dropped him off, he clung to me and cried, "one more hug, one more kiss". Now as a Kindergarten teacher who deals with this every year I know that the best thing is to peel them off of you - hand them over to the teacher and walk away. They are resilient and stop crying shortly after the parents leave. In my head I know this. But when the shoe is on the other foot - it is heartbreaking and easier said than done. But, I did what I know is best and did not turn around. I left and then sat in my car and cried there! Poor baby. My heart was breaking for him because I knew he was nervous and scared and wanted me or sister to rescue him. He had never been anywhere without either one of us. As it turns out, he only cried for a little while and then he was fine.

Now he loves his school and teacher. The summer program ends this Friday and "real" school with academics begins on August 23rd. We'll see what he thinks of all of that. So far he has loved playing - let's see what he thinks about learning his ABC's?



Miss Cecilia and Dylan

1 comment:

Leslie Broussard said...

At least you can admit it is easier said than done :)