Monday, December 20, 2010

Gingerbread Houses

Every year the kids get to decorate gingerbread houses. The tradition started when I taught first grade and I would make houses with the kids. Now looking back I think I was crazy to actually build houses with the kids and then let them decorate once it set. Every year I would think to myself "I am not doing that again" - until I see the pure joy on their little faces and I would forget all the mayhem of the house building. So I decided that it would be fun for my own kids to have the opportunity to experience the fun - and now we decorate houses every year.




I pre-make the houses the night before so that they are set and won't collapse.



The girls before they began . . .





and the boys !



Dylan was the first one done. He couldn't wait to . . .





dig in - face first! He was hilarious! If I would have let him, he would have ate the whole thing in one sitting.




Mackenzie's gingerbread girl.



Mackenzie's house.


She took her time . . . But the prize goes to . . .






Aunty Tiff! She looks forward to making houses every year. Next year she has requested a bigger house on cardboard covered with foil so she can expand her scenery. Wait . . . who is this event for?

1 comment:

Leslie Broussard said...

Beautiful! We made them at our house too :)

http://kindergarteneskapades.blogspot.com/2010/12/togetherness.html