Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sweet Girl


On Valentine's Day, Nonni gave each of the kids a present. Unfortunately, Mackenzie's outift did not fit her. So, Nonni wanted to get Mackenzie something else to replace the gift that didn't fit and had asked what she might like. I aksed her and this was the conversation that followed:

Me: What would you like Nonni to get you instead?

Mackenzie: Why is she going to get me something? She already gave me a piece of candy and some stickers.

Me: Because she loves you and wants to get you something else.

Mackenzie: (After some pensive silence) I can't think of anything and I don't really need anything. I already have everything that I need. She doesn't need to get me anything else.


I was so touched that my sweet five year old did not go on listing a whole sleuth of toys, clothes, or whatever else. I was quite shocked to be honest. I was expecting her to respond with some ridiculous toy that she didn't really need. Sometimes that kid leaves me speechless. I hope she'll respond with the same answer when she's a teenager! I know - I won't hold my breathe. I'll enjoy the sweet innocence of this moment - right here - right now - today!


3 comments:

NixonsMamma said...

I love sweet girls! and Kenzie is definitely one of them! I see it also in how she plays with her brother (and takes care of Nix when he's around).

So sweet! :)

Mrs. O said...

Oh my gosh, your kids are too cute. I love the sweetness of your daughter's response about her gift. Heart melting. Also, on your earlier post I would like to vote for Home Depot man with Sword -very cool.

Me & My Boys said...

Hi Diane! I just came across your blog, how fun!!! :) Your kiddos are way to cute!

This story is absolutely precious! Hope all else is going well! :)