Monday, March 22, 2010

Bye-Bye Ba-ba!

Dylan will be turning four this Saturday and it was going to be a mixed blessing day for him. You see he has a dirty little secret. He still used a pacifier when he went to bed. I know he’s quite old for one, but after child number one I didn’t fret it. The pediatrician and dentist both told me that if you have oral kids and take away the binky they’ll just substitute it for something else. Perfect example – Mackenzie! We took away her pacifier and she instantaneously became a thumb sucker (not anymore for the record).

So, Dylan understood that on his fourth birthday he would no longer be able to use his ba-ba. It had to go into the trash. He understood and would was coming to terms with the idea.

On Saturday I went to the store to pick up a few things and he wanted to look at the toys. As usual he asked for every toy under the sun for which my reply was “maybe for your birthday.” As we continued down each aisle, he kept asking me for this Iron Man toy. I replied with the same answer. A few aisles later he says, “Mama if you buy me Iron Man I will throw my ba-ba away tonight.” This caught me by utter surprise! Give up his prized possession a week early? I nervously jumped aboard and said sure. However, before paying I asked three different times if he REALLY understood what this meant. His response, “Yes, I’m a big boy now. I don’t want to be a baby.” I reluctantly made the purchase praying we wouldn’t have a crying fit when bed time came.

Immediately when we got home he went to his bed got his ba-ba’s and threw them into the trash without any hesitation or final words of farewell. Done. Over. Gone.

Bedtime came and I tucked him in and said goodnight. No fight, no whining, nothing. Hmmmm. . . And then I hear the slightest little whimpering. I go into his room and he’s laying in bed with crocodile tears streaming down his face. I asked him what was the matter and he said, “I just miss my ba-ba.” He never asked for it back, didn’t ask me to return the toy, didn’t call me to comfort him, was just lying in bed taking it like a big boy. My heart ached for him and I told him that the first night was going to be hard, but that it would get better. I gave him a big hug and told him that I was so proud of him. He said ok in his tiny voice. If you could have only see that little face of anguish and sorrow. I felt bad for him – but he was turning FOUR!!!

I love that little guy. I guess he figured he might as well get something out of it since it was going in the trash anyway! Brave and smart little man.

1 comment:

WackyMamma said...

I can't believe he's FOUR!!!! Where does the time go!!!

He is such a big boy! I like how you said, "he was lying in bed taking it like a big boy." awww!

You're lucky it's a pacifier. Nix sucks his fingers to fall asleep at nap/night time. I have no idea HOW to stop that habit! Hot sauce? bandaids?
Any ideas? How did Kenzie stop?

Happy Bday Dylan!