Monday, March 22, 2010

Bye-Bye Part Two

We arrive at daycare this morning and Connie hands me his ba-ba for him to throw away at home and Dylan looked entirely shocked! He must of thought that he would still get to keep the one at daycare. He hesitated and said "no". I reminded him that he was big now and didn't have one at home, so he didn't get one at daycare either. He did not look happy at all. Connie tried to comfort him and offered to give it to the trash man - he refused. So I put it into my pocket, kissed him goodbye and told him to have a great day. As I'm walking away he says, "Wait ma-ma. I'll give it to the trash man."

Luckily it was trash day and the trash truck was right outside. The very nice trash man took his prized possession and praised him for becoming a big boy. Dylan watched him put it into the huge trash receptacle and he waved goodbye to his loving ba-ba. I wish I had a camera to capture the moment. The look of unsureness and sorrow on that boy's face. It was like losing a best friend. Once again my heart ached for him.

The trash man was so nice and encouraging and gave him a high five. Dylan then asks him for a sticker (isn't that what you get when you're brave at the doctor's?) and the poor trash man felt awful for him when he didn't have any! He immediately said, "I'll bring you one next week buddy. I promise!" I think he felt his sorrow. Needless to say he was a great trash man! Thank you trash man for being so kind and encouraging to my son who was obviously unsure about this whole process!

I'm sure in his eyes - growing up sucks. Potty training, no more cribs, no more ba-ba's, and soon he'll have to leave Connie's and go to preschool? This year has brought a lot of changes to his little life.

Mommy loves you and I'm so proud of you!

No comments: