Friday, March 19, 2010

Update

The first night Dylan slept in his toddler bed, he got up 3 times to come ask me something! First, it was about some toy (3am). I calmly told him to go back to bed. Then, it was to tell me he had a "bellyache", but when I suggested using the bathroom - he declined (3:20). I was a little annoyed, but kept my composure. Finally, it was to ask me "what rhymes with bell" (3:45)? At this point I used my angry "teacher" voice and told him now was not the time to discuss rhyming words and he better get back in bed! In hindsight it's funny that he's thinking of rhyming words - but not at 3:45 in the morning!

So, the next morning I explained that I was sad that he kept getting up. I explained that sleep is important blah. . .blah . ..blah . . .stay in your bed . . .blah . .. blah . . .blah . . . all the same things I told him 6 months ago. I went to work feeling discouraged and wondered how that night was going to be.

Well to my amazement he has stayed in bed ever since! He gets up to go use the bathroom, but then marches right back to his room and goes back to his bed. He keeps asking if I'm happy and proud of him. He is also so proud of himself too. Thank goodness he got it this time. I would have hated to have to send him to 3rd grade still sleeping in a crib! Now just working on NOT slamming the toilet seat down when he gets up to use the potty in the middle of the night. So the next time you see him - let him know how proud you are of him staying in his bed.

No comments: