Saturday, March 6, 2010

First Grade Writing


Mackenzie really enjoys writing and is quite good for a six year old in my opinion. She often writes pieces that make me smile or chuckle! At home she likes to create little "books".

In school she has been working on descriptive writing. Now, as a former First Grade teacher I know that this is a difficult task for kids. It's very hard for them to remember descriptors when they are trying to focus on content, spacing, capitals, spelling and punctuation. I also feel that it doesn't come naturally and it's a developmental thing - but that's a whole other blog topic!

Anyway . . .here is the piece she decided to write for her "descriptive" piece.


Not that exciting - it's ok - but the real kicker is - when her teacher noticed her she had tears welling up and was starting to cry. Why? Because writing and thinking about her teddy brought such strong emotions that she started to miss her! She has had that "tan" teddy (it started off cream in color) since before she was born. She has taken her everywhere when she was younger - to daycare, preschool, ER visits, church, the store, and many other countless places! I have washed that thing so many times it is no longer soft and plush. She has a back up spare - but does not like it because "it doesn't feel right!"




I was touched by how innocent and young she still is. She is a very smart and mature First Grader and sometimes I forget that she is still my "baby". I did not realize how attached she still is to her teddy since she no longer travels outside the house with her. They say those security items last a long time - I guess they're right!

Of course when she saw me taking pictures of her writing and teddy she immediately said, "You're not going to tell anyone that I cried over my teddy are you?"

1 comment:

eunice said...

You are right she is a wonderful writer. Maybe we will see her name in print someday!